Whether to use words or figures to express numbers is governed by convention. That is, we follow customary techniques or rules. Here is a summary of frequently used number rules:
• General rules. Use words for numbers one through ten. (We have ten computers and three printers. She travels 30,000 miles each year.)
• Money. Use figures. (Her ticket cost $699.55, and her luggage fee was $20 more.)
• Beginning of sentence. Never start a sentence with a figure. (Twenty-three people applied.)
• Dates. Use figures when the day follows the month (May 5). Do not add the ordinals th, nd, rd unless the day precedes the month (fifth of May) or stands alone (on the fifth).
• Clock time. Use figures when clock time is expressed with a.m. or p.m. (at 9 a.m.). Use either words or figures when clock time is expressed with o’clock (at one o’clock or at 1 o’clock).
• Periods of time. Follow general rules (a three-month leave for 90 days).
• Business terms. Use figures for interest rates, contracts, warranty periods (2 percent, 6-month rental agreement).
• Addresses. Use figures for all house numbers (3450 Main Street) except the number One. Use words and ordinals for street names ten and under (Fifth Avenue, 17th Street).
Revise the following sentences to correct number style.
1. After sending out twenty-five résumés, Amanda was delighted to have 3 job interviews.
2. She prepared her résumé in about 10 hours and spent 35 dollars on paper and copying.
3. Her first interview was scheduled for June 18th at eleven a.m. in the morning.
4. The address for 1 interview was 4821 Thirteenth Avenue.
5. During a 4-week period, she talked with at least fifteen interviewers and managers.
6. 2 or 3 interviewers at each company questioned her for about twenty minutes.
7. A well-known company offered her thirty thousand dollars as a starting salary, but she was hoping for forty thousand.
8. One job candidate spent 3 hundred dollars on a new wardrobe and traveled fifteen hundred miles to a promising interview.
9. That candidate received 2 offers on the 15th of the month, but he asked for 7 days to decide.
10. He graduated with sixty thousand dollars in student loans at a five percent interest rate.
11. His best interview was at 1 Rockefeller Plaza, which is just off of 5th Avenue.
12. He had only three dollars in his pocket, but a taxi ride would cost at least 15 dollars.
13. Eager candidates submit their résumés to 1 hundred or more companies.
14. He was asked to make a decision before one p.m. on the twenty-third of December.
15. It took him only 1 hour to return the 3-page employment contract
Correct the number Style.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.